Chongqing Spicy Chicken
The Chongqing Spicy Chicken is part of Szechuan / Sichuan Cuisine, well-known for its addictively spicy food.
The Sichuan Cuisine originates in Sichuan province of southwestern China. Its flavours are famed to be bold and particularly the pungency and spiciness resulting from liberal use of garlic and chili peppers, as well as the unique flavour of the Sichuan peppercorn (花椒: huā jiāo). Peanuts are also a prominent ingredient in Szechuan cooking, which adds to its texture and frangrance.
Chongqing Spicy Chicken one of the more popular Sichuan dishes. The juicy and wholesome chicken pieces are well blended in and seasoned with deliciously spicy condiments of generous amounts of red hot chilli and sichuan peppers.
This is a favourite dish among spicy food lovers. You might just find yourself tearing from the hot numbing sensations but still wanting more of this addictive dish!
- Chicken breasts – 1kg
- Sichuan Peppercorn – 8g
- Dried Red Chilli – 30g
- Scallion – 15g
- Ginger – 10g
- MSG – 2g
- Salt – 8g
- Shao Xing rice wine / cooking wine – 15g
- Light soy sauce – 10g
- Vegetable Oil – 25g
- Garlic – 5g
- White Granulated Sugar – 2g
- Cut the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Sprinkle light soy sauce, salt, MSG on the chicken breast. Then mix the chicken breast in the cooking wine and let stand for approximately 30 minutes.
- When the oil in the wok is hot, add in the scallion, ginger and garlic and stir-fry briefly.
- Then add in the marinated chicken breast in the wok and stir-fry over high heat.
- Put in the dried red chili and Sichuan peppercorn. Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Lastly add salt, MSG and white granulated sugar to taste.
And there is your Chongqing Spicy Chicken! Spicy and Hot to taste, this dish serves well with white rice.
Learn Some Mandarin:
|重庆||chóng qìng||Chong Qing||n.|
|辣子鸡||là zǐ jī||Spicy Chicken||n.|
|红辣椒||hóng là jiāo||Red Chilli||n.|
Contributor : Lisa Ma