炒面 chǎo miàn
Noodles feature prominently in Chinese cuisine. There are many varieties of Chinese noodles.
Chinese stir-fried noodles are somewhat compulsory for a Chinese birthday meal, as the long noodles signify longevity. Fried noodles are easy to cook, yet extremely yummy!
700g/1.5lb wet, cooked Chinese noodles (200g/7oz dry, uncooked)
100g/3.5oz chicken meat (pork or beef)
6 pieces Chinese mushrooms
250g/9oz mustard green or spinach
½ medium sized carrot
3 cloves garlic
3 slices ginger
4 Tbsp cooking oil
Marinating (A) :
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon soy sauce
a dash of white pepper
Marinating (B) :
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
3 teaspoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups water
Fried sliced shallots
1. Cook dry noodles in briskly boiling water for 15 minutes or according to package instructions. When ready, that is, not hard but not too soft, take out and put in a colander and flush with running tap water. Drain dry.
2. Slice chicken meat thinly and marinate with A (Marinating) for 20 minutes.
3. De-shell and clean prawns and marinate with B (Marinating).
4. Soak and clean Chinese mushrooms and slice them thinly. (If you are using the water in which the mushrooms have been soaked as stock, which I do, soak the mushrooms in a weak vinegar solution for 10 minutes. Rinse a few times before the final soaking.)
5. Wash mustard green and cut them into 5cm/2in lengths.
6. Slice carrot into thin strips or broader slices.
7. Mix the seasoning ingredients together for sauce.
1. Heat up oil in Chinese wok. Fry the sliced Chinese mushrooms first.
2. Keep mushrooms to one side of the wok and put in garlic and ginger to fry for a few seconds.
3. Add in chicken meat and stir-fry till color changes.
4. Next add in the shrimps and also stir-fry till they change color.
5. Mix in the mushrooms and add the carrots and mustard green to fry.
6. Pushing the contents to the sides of the wok, make a space in the center and put in the noodles.
7. Pour the seasoning sauce over and mix thoroughly.
8. A dash of dark soy sauce may be added to the noodles for color.
9. Continue to turn and mix. Noodles are ready when well combined.
10. Great tasting ‘chao mian’ ready to be served!
炒 面 fried noodles n.
美 味 yummy adj.
菠 菜 spinach n.
bái hú jiāo
白 胡 椒 white pepper n.
Contributor : Lisa Ma