春卷 chūn juǎn
Spring Roll or Spring Roll Wrapper is a chinese finger food, crispy on the outside, and tender inside. Fried til a nice golden brown, they serve perfectly for any occasion.
Spring rolls are available in most Chinese restaurants or food stalls, but why hassle down to get it when you can prepare this quick and easy dish yourself.
The best thing about this dish is, you can vary the filling depending on what you like, duck, chicken, prawns and crab all work well.
Seasoning (A) :
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black soya sauce
Other Ingredients :
- 5 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1 kg yambean (bangkuang)
- 1 carrot, approximately 115g (4 oz)
- 10 sweet soya bean strips
- 6 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- 1 tablespoon preserved salted soya bean, pounded Oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour blended in 3 tablespoons water for thickening
- 1 small packet spring roll wrappers (You can get this ready-made wrap in supermarkets)
- Soak mushrooms in 225 ml (8 fl oz) hot water. Remove stalks and cut caps into thin slices. Reserve water for cooking later.
- Grate yambean using a coarse scraper.Rinse under cold water in a colander. Drain well. Using same scraper,grate carrot. Do not wash. Use scissors to cut the sweet soya bean strips into thin strips.
- Heat 6 teaspoons peanut oil. Fry sweet bean strips till they blister and are slightly browned.Remove to a dish.
- reheat oil in pan. Saute 1 teaspoon ginger till light brown, add preserved soya bean sauce to fry for short while. Add A (seasoning) and 1/2 of the water reserved. Stir till mixture boils, then add in the grated yambean and sweet soya been curd strips. Cook for 10 minutes then add in the remaining water.
- Lastly add in the carrots. Stir mixture and continue cooking till moist. Pour in thickening and stir well. Place them on a large plate to cool completely before making spring rolls.
To prepare spring rolls:
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of tapioca flour and plain flour with 6 tablespoons water in a cup. This flour mixture is used to stick the ending corner of the wrapper after rolling.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of filling on the lower half of the wrapper. Fold over to cover filling, fold sides, and roll wrapper to make spring roll. Seal with flour mixture. There’s your spring roll!
- Repeat to prepare required number of spring rolls.
- Heat oil for deep frying in an aluminium wok. Put in spring rolls a few at a time and fry till light brown. Remove to a steel colander to drain before putting on absorbent paper for a while.
- Best served hot with sweet chilli sauce!
春 卷 spring roll n.
蘑 菇 mushroom n.
hú luó bō
胡 萝 卜 carrot n.
热 水 hot water n.
冷 水 cold water n.